Segment 1: Of Heroes (0-21:00)
- Vietnam and heroism
- Ken Burns’ Vietnam documentary. How well do documentaries age? How often should documentaries be done about certain topics?
- Should we believe in heroes? The ancients and heroes and how we see them today.
- Do the left and right in America today misunderstand what a hero is?
- The shaky ground of contemporary US military endeavors
- Heroes are true and important, but today we don’t want to admit that anybody is better than we are so we tear down the concept
- Yet, heroism can also be used to manipulate people
- Socrates changes the idea of what a hero is from being a war hero to being a philosopher-king
- Socrates bothers everyone by asking questions
- Alexander the Great makes everything about war again
- Jesus turns the idea of what heroism and kingship upside down
- Jesus didn’t influence Socrates (Mike forgets how to chronology pt. I)
Segment 2: Superheroes (21:00-30:36)
- Is Batman more of a superhero for our time, as opposed to Superman being the superhero of the previous generation?
- Why “Generation Y” turned into “Millenials”
- Millenials being anti-elitist as a reason why they prefer Batman over Superman
- Batman as more relatable and brooding
- Superman as too ideal to be believable and relatable
- Nietzsche didn’t read Super Man comics (Mike forgets how to chronology part II)
- Superman, Nietzsche, and the Nazis
- Jesus is more like Batman than Superman (or: Batman as a Gnostic Jesus)
Segment 3: The Ice Cold Sports Fix (30:36-1:60:45)
- Sans Sam Bradford, the Minnesota Vikings predictably lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 29-9. Did the loss say anything about the Vikings as a whole? How many games can the Vikings 2017 season survive without Bradford?
- The Giants and Seahawks struggle
- The difference an offensive line makes
- Erik does what he does best: pointing out the obvious
- Packers loss to the Falcons, the roaring Lions on the prowl
- Are the Packers still the team to beat in the north?
- Going into 2017, the Minnesota Twins were expected to have another terrible year. Instead, they are staying competitive for the second Wild Card spot. How did they improve so much? Will they make the playoffs?
- Young Twins players emerge, pitching overperforms, veterans lead the charge.
- Erik makes a bold prediction about Paul Molitor’s future with the team and whether or not they’ll make the playoffs
Segment 4: The 5 Most Iconic Albums of 1967
- No spoilers here! Highlights include how to listen with your eyes, the top album being the only one anyone could choose, #5 being an album that some people would think nobody should choose, and why the Doors are cooler, better, more innovative, and more unique than the Velvet Underground.